Pages - Menu

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Over and Over and Over

I am one of those people who will watch a movie over and over. There's something about knowing what is going to happen that I find comforting. As Frodo and Co make their way to Mt Doom to destroy "the ring", they travel through the Mines of Moria and come face to face with a band of nasty Orks and their Cave Troll. Even when Froto is stabbed and when the group is pursued by Orks that are literally coming out of the cracks in the walls or when Gandalf falls off the cliff - I'm good. Mainly because I know what happens next.

I am an emotional movie viewer that "feels" what I watch in such a way that it can ruin my whole day. In spite of being a filmmaker who notices the technical components of a movie, I commit myself to the motion picture at hand and sink into the experience.

The news impacts me the same way - which is why I approach CNN with immense caution. Unlike movies though, where I can talk myself off the ledge by reminding myself that it's "make-believe", the news is very real and often very, very sad. And every story a reflection of people facing tragedies because they didn't know what would happen next.

Can you imagine how tremendous it would see "tomorrow's" events? Or at least get the highlights? Heck, I would settle for seeing myself at the start of the day for a few seconds and then at the end of the day for a few seconds. This way I would know that I'm, at the very least, still in the game.

As I write this, Batman just saved Gotham in Batman Begins and I'm irritated that Rachel won't date him (honestly who doesn't want to date Batman) and bummed that his fancy house burned down. But I am glad that he plans to rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment